Lake Houston Fishing!

The one stop Lake Houston Fishing resource!
It is currently Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:15 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: W Fork 2/9
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:38 am 

Did not get a chance to get out Friday and scout like I wanted to so I did not play with the tourney guys yesterday. Got out at 9 and went up W fork. Overcast, water 55-58, decent clarity. Fished for 3 hours w/o a bite then missed a good one off a cypress tree that swam right to me, then as I said man I only got 1 bite, a nice 3lb fish on a spot me, and 3 other boats had passed and fished and got nothing. Saw one other boat get 1 right near a tree real shallow.

On way back saw a barge coming W full of sand. Where is that going? 2 long reach excavators and a shovel working at the mouth bar yesterday. On the trailer at 1300.

Raptor I saw you right at RiverGrove, you got up and jacked your motor up, I saw yall go W, where did yall end up?

I was in the black Cajun UH hoodie on.

Post subject: Re: W Fork 2/9
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:17 pm 

Kisndismis,

I thought that might have been you.

When you saw me we had just come out of River Grove. I dropped my Power Poles down, went under the soccer bridge, and rode in the ditch all the way up to the bridge on Woodlands Hills. Had fun spooking the soccer kids when I came back out the ditch at full speed lol.

I actually pulled up to the River Grove ramp and took a pic to prove it possible to launch there. There are a couple spots right by the ramp that are about 2 ft deep but if everybody idled it would be no problem. The rest of the area is at least 5 ft deep.

When you said I was jacking up my motor I was actually cleaning some debris out the jet. That bar on the rear deck reaches down to a rake on the intake that cleans it off. I had picked up a couple sticks.

The barges hauling sand go to the south bank and unload in that cover right across from River Grove. The unload point us about 300 yards down the bank once you enter behind the island. We went back in there and took some pics for Rehak.

After we left there we rode over to The Cedar and ate shrimp. Im really liking the prices and service better under the new owners.

Raptor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:02 am 

The barges hauling sand go to the south bank and unload in that cover right across from River Grove. The unload point us about 300 yards down the bank once you enter behind the island. We went back in there and took some pics for Rehak.

So if you ran the shoreline where the houses are on the S bank, essentially mid way thru there they are dumping it. I have never ran that, been told you could though. Seems like that sand is destined to go right back where it is now. And why only 2 long reach excavators, seems like it will take a long time or they are re-establishing the cut and leaving that stuff to the E?

Was Rehak with you? Been wanting to meet him. Next time yall plan a trip, I would love to hear him speak and give him my feedback from a person familiar with Spring Creek before JJones park. I would have picked up that lunch tab if I knew that, been wanting to try it again.

Not a damn thing going on down there dredge wise or cleanup wise. I think I may call to see what the newest lie is. I was told work to start over there in Jan. I dont think they even know.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:57 pm 

Kisndismis,

See the attached. I marked on map exactly where they are unloading. They got a couple excavators there unloading the barges and then they load it on dump trucks and haul it "inland" away from the river before dumping and spreading with dozer. They day I was out their cycle time per barge (it is actually 2 small barges joined together) was ~ 2.5 hours. Per Rehak he was told they are hauling 80 cuyds per load but I question that. It looks smaller to me.

I did run that cut from east to west that they are unloading on. Most of it is 4 to 5 ft deep but there are a couple 2 to 2.5 ft sections. I didn't really pay attention much to if there were any stumps or not.

Rehak was not with me. He rarely goes unless there is a breach or something "big" he needs high quality photos of. Most of the time I just snap pics with phone of anything that I see is interesting and send them to him.

I did talk to Rehak a bunch last night about River Grove as he is on one of the KSA boards. Evidently they are only waiting on City of Houston approval to start the dredging around the ramp. Plan supposedly is they will excavate it, dry it in parking lot, and once dry haul it to dump site in Humble. I questioned why not just haul it across to river ~ 500 yards to dump site at Madden's but supposedly he wanted to much money to take it.

Raptor

Attachments:
Mechanical Dredging Unload Point Shrunk.png
Mechanical Dredging Unload Point Shrunk.png [ 1.6 MiB | Viewed 7145 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:30 pm 

Here’s a 40 yard so 80 is twice as big;

Attachments:
463A5207-F3F7-4BCD-BFD6-C799BBE4E8F4.jpeg
463A5207-F3F7-4BCD-BFD6-C799BBE4E8F4.jpeg [ 685.69 KiB | Viewed 7099 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:53 am 

That advertisement picture actually is deceptive. If it was truly was 24’ x 8’ x 8’ it would be 56.9 cuyd. They fail to represent in the picture for the loss of volume due to the sloped bottom.

Raptor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:30 pm 

Maybe that’s why it’s 40????
Geeze......
What’s a cubit????
I was just showing what the size differential is, visually, between a 40 & 80 and showing a standard sized human standing next to the smaller one as a reference point.. even if the guy has a mouse in his pocket.